Ever wonder how essential oils work?
Neuroscience was one of my favorite subjects in my doctorate program. We learned about the limbic system in the brain. It functions as the control center for our emotions, memory and smell. The Olfactory neurons in our nose detect smells and send impulses to the olfactory bulb in the brain when the limbic system is directly attached. The limbic system processes the smell then communicates with other areas of the nervous system that control breathing, blood pressure, heart rate, fear, anxiety, memory, stress levels, anger, hormone balance and joy. Thus, making essential oils a very powerful and therapeutic way to deal with emotions and other physiological processes.
WHAT IS AN ESSENTIAL OIL?
Essential oils are natural, aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, and flowers of plants. These compounds provide protection to the plant, attract pollinators, help the plant to fight off disease, etc. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years. Ayurveda is one of the oldest healing system that originated in India more than 5,000 years ago. Ayurveda believes prevention of disease and health occur from "harmony within one's self" (1). Through the use of essential oils, herbs, exercise, mindful lifestyle, healthy eating and meditation, harmony and balance of your mind, body and spirit can be achieved to prevent disease. Essential oils offer a safe, natural alternative to enhance physical, mental and emotional health.
My family uses essential oils each and every day to help support our bodies, improve the mood within our home and reduce the toxic load. One of my main missions at CHH is to bring awareness of the importance of eliminating harmful chemicals and fragrances, whether they are in your cleaning supplies, cosmetics, soaps, detergents, etc. These harmful chemicals are leading to an increased rate of disease, infertility, cancer and hormone disruption. By eliminating as many of these toxins from my home as possible, I am improving my health along with my families, and aiding the prevention of disease!
WHY USE ESSENTIAL OILS?
- Greater health & wellness
- More energy & vitality
- Improve & support immune function
- Enhance and sustain focus, especially helpful with those who have difficulty paying attention and staying on task
- Reduce tension & stress
- Promote healthy digestion
- Maintain clear airways & breathing while supporting the respiratory system
- Sooth sore, achy joints
- Support healthy cellular integrity by reducing oxidative stress
- Promote clear, healthy skin
- Reduce the toxic load within your body and your home
Essential oils can be used aromatically, applied topically and ingested as long as you are using a pure oil from a reputable company you can trust. There are a variety of benefits that can be achieved.
SOME WAYS I HAVE INCOORPORTATED THEM INTO MY LIFE:
- SEASONAL RELIEF with the use of peppermint, Lemon, and Lavender
- SUN RELIEF - lavender calms the skin & peppermint cools it
- IMMUNE SUPPORT - Protective blend of oils that include cinnamon, clove, orange, eucalyptus, rosemary
- EXERCISE SUPPORT - Soothing blend of oils that include wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, german chamomile, etc.
- DIGESTIVE SUPPORT - Digestive blend of oils that include ginger, peppermint, tarragon, fennel, etc.
- SLEEP - Calming blends, lavender, Grounding blends, roman chamomile
- TENSION RELIEF - peppermint, headache relief blends, soothing blends
- MOOD SUPPORT - Frankincense, grounding blends, joyful blends, cellular complex supplements, essential oil omega complex, food nutrient complex
- ENERGY BOOST - Frankincense, peppermint, Wild Orange, cellular complex supplements, essential oil omega complex, food nutrient complex
- WEIGHT LOSS - Grapefruit or Metabolic blend, probiotic defense, GI cleansing formula, cellular complex supplements, essential oil omega complex, food nutrient complex
- CLEANING - Wild orange, lavender and lemon
- PREGNANCY + BABY - Digestive blend to sooth an upset stomach, grounding blend, lavender
- HEALTHY KIDS - Protective blend to help support good immune function allowing the body to do what it should naturally when fighting germs, digestive blend, respiratory blend, lavender and grounding blend
- ORGANIC GARDENING - all you need is a glass spray bottle, a few drops of peppermint and even less white fir!